Friday 5 October 2012

I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it

How terribly rude of me. I haven't properly introduced myself have I? My name is Ruth E Dixon and I am a Poet. I was a radio star; well I say radio star but, in truth, I don't think anyone noticed. Except me. I worked for ten years as a presenter on local radio in Hull. I started to become a star about five years in (never mind that X Factor instant stardom malarky; man gotta graft for the real thing). I knew it was happening because it started to feel right, radio jocking began to suit me like a sparkly skin-tight bodysuit. I recognised it in others too; I was fortunate enough to work amongst stars. I mean, they didn't have their name up in lights nor a number one hit single pumped out in time for Christmas either. But stars nonetheless. Anyway, like it does, stuff happened, lots of stuff. The long and short of it is that the bodysuit got too long; or was it too short for me? Either way, it didn't fit anymore. I needed to move on and in so doing, the best thing possible happened. Reader, I became me. Poet.

No comments:

Post a Comment